For optimal overall health and vitality, it makes sense to begin with an improved lifestyle. Many symptoms of illness can be alleviated by eliminating or reducing sugars, saturated fats and processed foods and by adding exercise. These symptoms include but are not limited to:
- Sleep disturbance
- Lack of energy
- Mood swings or depression
- Trouble focusing
Besides the health benefits, a physician-directed diet and exercise plan has the following benefits:
- It is based upon current scientific findings.
- Tangible, measurable results reinforce resolve to stick with the program.
- Health benefits are gained without the side effects often resulting from the use of pharmaceuticals.
You may be hesitant to embark upon this journey of change because of certain common misconceptions:
- “It’s more expensive to eat healthy,” – to the contrary, considering the average S.A.D. (Standard American Diet), it‘s been found that a carefully planned, directed menu is actually cheaper.
- “It’s too hard to cook different things for myself and my family,” – again, this challenge is alleviated with planning. Cook your own food simply and allow family members to build their meals around it. Childhood obesity is on the rise, and your family will only benefit from your example.
- “I can’t go to parties or restaurants anymore,” –This one’s easy – either eat your own food before the party, and plan to nibble upon crudite or other food in your plan at the party, or bring enough of your own to share. For restaurant meals, call ahead to inquire about a special meal. In finer restaurants, a chef often enjoys the opportunity to be creative with fresh ingredients on hand.
Considering any health concerns or goals you may have, the practitioners at Atlanta Functional Medicine will create an individualized plan for you utilizing one of several proven approaches including the FLT Program, or the Healthy Transformations Program, both by Metagenics, or simply a whole foods diet which eliminates processed foods and the toxins and empty calories that come with them.by Dr. Elizabeth Board