Pain Management An Overview
Atlanta Functional Medicine offers a broad range of natural and alternative pain management therapies. We avoid surgery and pharmaceutical treatments and instead guide patients through alternative pain management therapies that will promote the body’s self-healing process. Alternative pain management treatments are more conservative and generally result in more effective, longer lasting, natural pain relief.
Like conventional pain management doctors, our physicians each have backgrounds in traditional medicine. This ensures the highest level of care. Each pain management patient begins with a comprehensive consultation and examination. We will review your medical history, discuss past and current treatments and identify your treatment goals. Once we have diagnosed your condition, we will recommend a treatment plan that will deliver natural pain relief.
Understanding Chronic Pain
Basically, there are two types of pain: acute pain and chronic pain. Acute pain can usually be traced back to a source, such as an injury or strain and does not involve nerve damage. Acute pain will subside after a natural healing process. By contrast, chronic pain does not go away. Chronic pain affects the nervous system and the immune system and can increase blood pressure which in turn increases the risk for heart disease and stroke. Chronic pain also leads to depression which can make pain symptoms seem worse.
Types of Chronic Pain:
- Chronic back pain
- Herniated disc
- TMJ or myofascial pain syndrome
- Migraine headaches
- Carpal tunnel syndrome
I am very pleased with the treatment prescribed by Dr. Elizabeth Board for my osteoporosis! I went to Dr. Board with osteoporosis in the hip (I was 63), hoping that a more holistic approach would build my health as well as my bones. Within 18 months my condition was reversed!…My Osteoporosis was Reversed within 18 months!
I am so thankful that my friend referred me to AFM. I feel better than I have in 10 years! Dr. Curtis and everyone is so nice and helpful. They exemplify exceptional customer service and team work.I Feel Better Than I Have in 10 Years!
Because of AFM's above-and-beyond service and care, I have nearly cured my condition, and am able to function as a healthy and happy human being! I am so thankful for what AFM has done for me, and I will continue to recommend them to everyone I know. Everyone from the…I Am Nearly Cured!
I was suffering from severe abdominal pains – as if I was being stabbed repeatedly with a huge knife. Really, I was bent over in pain. I tried ant-acids, muscle relaxers (natural), anything I could find, and nothing was helping. Dr. Board suggested acupuncture and I was ready to try…Acupuncture is Amazing. Dr. Board Works Miracles!
There is simply no better place I know of to get such wonderful holistic type care and advice! They truly know their stuff!John M.
Pain Management What to Expect
While there is still a place for conventional pain management for acute pain, chronic pain is best treated with natural and alternative therapies. Pharmaceutical treatments such as narcotics pose many risks and actually are perceived as less effective over time, often leading to a cycle of addiction as patients require more of the medication to achieve relief from their pain. Besides this alarming risk, all pharmaceutical treatments also pose the risk of unwanted and dangerous side effects.
- Acupuncture is one of the oldest and most popular methods for achieving natural pain relief. A trained and skilled acupuncturist uses acupuncture needles to improve the function of the nervous system and musculoskeletal system, which target the source of pain. Additionally, acupuncture stimulates amino acids in the skin which have natural pain relieving properties. The FDA has approved Acupuncture as a treatment in pain management, which is causing many insurance companies to reimburse patients for the procedure at a higher rate than ever before.
- The American Pain Foundation recommends yoga as a treatment for lower back pain. Not only does yoga reduce the physical symptoms of pain, but it alleviates depression and anxiety which can worsen pain symptoms.
- At Atlanta Functional Medicine, we use “Food as Medicine”, helping people make healthy changes to their diet and lifestyle which will promote self-healing and reduce pain symptoms. There are many supplements and herbal remedies that reduce inflammation and can be used for natural pain relief.
- Meditation and group therapy are excellent for people suffering from chronic pain since tension exacerbates pain. Here, patients learn coping skills and become more self-aware so that they can take control over their pain, rather than letting their pain control them.
Natural Pain Management Therapies
Patients with pain who come to Atlanta Functional Medicine are seeking natural pain relief and alternative pain management therapies. We help patients avoid unwanted or unnecessary surgery. If you are currently taking prescription pain medication, our physicians can help safely wean you off of drugs and get you on a natural treatment plan.
I recently fell and fractured one of my lumbar vertebrae eventually requiring a vertebroplasty. Through the use of Mind-Body medicine and Dr. Board’s natural supplements and regular treatments of acupuncture, I am now recovering rapidly without the use of opiates or pharmaceuticals. –Linda H.
Our alternative pain management therapies include:
- Dietary changes
- Nutritional supplements
- Herbal remedies
- Group therapy